Wednesday 12 August 2009

2006 fake coin story...and ALERT!!!

Today, whilst purchasing my sandwich from the snack van that calls at my office, I received a heap of change from the lady. Amongst it was the first time I had seen a fake of the 2006 Egyptian Arch 3rd Portrait Wavy Lines inscripted coin. What had drawn my attention was the wavy line pattern around the edge was incomplete in several areas and the 'ending' dots were not equi-distant from the ends of the lines. Upon closer inspection under my magnifying glass I noticed the tell-tale merging of the 100 beads, the lumpiness of the lettering, the indistinct IRB portrait designers initials and the 'false raised edge' the cast coins appear to have.

This was the first 2006 fake to enter my personal collection.........or so I thought.

I was preparing to go to the cinema tonight and gathered up my loose change from yesterday evenings cinema visit and spotted the faked 2006 coin. I thought to myself 'I obviously haven't tucked it away in my fakes bag, better go do it'.

Then it struck me, I had put dinnertimes one already in there!! In less than 24 hours, I now had received 2 fakes of the same coin. Not only that but the errors in the casting and the apparent 'turning circles' on the face of the coin in the dead centre beneath the arch itself were almost 100% indentical.

Therefore I can only make the following assumption;

Either it is an amazing coincidence or Ipswich and the surrounding area has been recently 'hit' with an influx of 2006 Arch coins. Be aware guys.............

1 comment:

  1. I've seen eight different varieties of the 2006 bridge, and it took me several days to decide that the first one was a fake, and then they came thick and fast, including the one you describe with the 'spider's web' effect under the bridge. I saw my first one of those on 6th January this year.

    ReplyDelete

Followers